Discovering everyday "joie de vivre" through food, style, and inspiration

Welcome! Join as we discover both spectacular and simple joys alike, remembering that life is a journey and it's up to each of us to make it special. Along the way, I'll share some of my original gluten-free recipes, book recommendations, DIY projects, style and decor tips, and plenty of inspiration. Thanks for visiting!

~ Kayla McGuire




Wednesday, August 3, 2011

My Grocery List

What do I eat?

I’ve had several people interested to know exactly what someone on a paleo/traditional diet might eat. In previous posts I’ve made it a point to discuss several items I don’t eat, so hopefully this will give you a better idea of what I try to include in my diet week to week.

Eggs – I eat eggs daily. Please eat the yolks!! I used to be an egg white only type of gal until I discovered that the whites are not meant to be digested without the yolk. Plus, the egg yolk is one of the most nutrient dense foods in existence!

Grass-fed/pastured beef, bison, and lamb – This is a staple. I usually purchase mine from the farmer’s market, but there are some great grass-fed brands being offered in stores now too. Grass-fed beef is generally leaner, contains more omega-3 than grain-fed meat, and usually isn’t full of antibiotics and hormones.

Poultry - Another staple. Again, be sure you are purchasing good quality meat as often as possible – no hormones/antibiotics and avoid grain, corn, and soy fed chickens.

Salmon (canned or fresh), Sardines, Anchovies – Seafood is great, but be careful where you get it. Wild caught Alaskan salmon is a pretty safe bet. Keep in mind that smaller fish are more free of toxins than larger varieties.

Bacon –Yes, I eat bacon. It does not scare me anymore :) Just be careful when purchasing bacon that your brand doesn’t contain sugar, MSG, or other harmful additives.

Nuts (cashews, almonds, walnuts) – I always buy raw nuts and then soak and dehydrate them. I make nut butter and trail mixes or use nuts in salads and sometimes sauces. The nut as a whole is pretty nutritionally sound but be careful about including too many in your diet as they tend to be high in omega-6.

Quinoa – Technically a dipod, and thus a seed, quinoa is one of my “in between” foods. Meaning, it’s not technically paleo but it’s certainly a traditional food if prepared properly. So, I always soak and sprout my quinoa before cooking and tend to keep my consumption down to once a week or less. This is a food I’m slowly introducing back into my diet after eliminating all grains, so I want to make sure my body can handle it. Oh, and it's gluten-free, making it a much easier to digest than other grains!

Leafy Greens (kale, collard, chard, spinach) – Need I say more? This one is pretty obvious. These foods are so rich in wonderful nutrients, it’s hard to pass them up.

Bone Broths – I hope to soon write a blog solely about the nutritional benefits of homemade bone broths, but until then I just have to say this is the most rewarding traditional food I have made to date! If you don’t already make homemade bone broths, I have to encourage you to do so. It really enhances the flavor and nutrient content of soups and sauces and you will feel like such an accomplished chef!

Raw milk – Refer to my previous blog entry to read more about why I drink raw milk.

Plain, full fat yogurt – Although I don’t yet make my yogurt from scratch, I often use it in sauces and dressings or eat it as a snack, and I sometimes even eat it with some fruit for dessert.

Avacado – Oh, avocado, I love you! These little guys are so full of healthy fats.

Sweet Potatoes – If you’re not ready to go paleo full-force, at least try a simple switch and replace white potatoes with sweet potatoes. If you’re like me and very sensitive to carbs, take it easy on the sweet potatoes until you get your system under control.

Berries – When in season, I buy fresh. I’ll also keep a variety of frozen berries in my fridge during their “off season.” With frozen berries, I can make smoothies, sauces, and desserts.

Seasonal veggies – I like to vary my veggies, so whatever is seasonal and local, I’ll figure out how to use it! Keep in mind that many vegetables have fat-soluble vitamins and actually need to be eaten with fat in order to receive their full benefits.

Garlic – Yum! Garlic is an antioxidant and contains a host of beneficial nutrients. Plus, it’s so flavorful and I find myself adding it to many of my favorite dishes.

Onion – Like garlic, the onion is an antioxidant, helps to reduce inflammation, and is high in flavanoids. These are just a few of the onion’s health benefits, so remember to include them in your weekly (or daily) menu!

Coconut Oil – This is an awesome source of fat that a lot of people tend to overlook. At this point, I’ve completely replaced vegetable oil with coconut oil. It’s a very stable fat and great for high-heat cooking.

Olive Oil – We’ve all heard about the benefits of olive oil. I primarily use olive oil in salad dressings, homemade mayonnaise, sauces, and low-heat cooking.

Pastured Butter – Good quality butter can’t be beat. I use butter for high-heat cooking (tastes great with eggs or sautéed veggies!). If you have a dairy intolerance, try clarified butter (ghee) as it has the milk solids removed and is easier to digest.

Fermented Foods – I’m trying to get better about this one as I’ve learned traditionally prepared fermented foods are so essential to good health. For now, I eat Bubbie’s brand pickles and sauerkraut, which is so far the only brand I can find that doesn’t use vinegar.

Chamomile Tea (with an added cinnamon stick) – Dave makes fun of me for this one. He thinks I’m addicted. But hey, if there is anything I’m going to be addicted to, chamomile tea can’t be that bad, right? It definitely falls into that tension tamer category and fulfils my morning (and evening) desire to sip on something warm.

Dark Chocolate – C’mon, I’ve gotta have something fun! I like to buy a bar of great quality, super dark chocolate and nibble on it throughout the week. It really does the trick!

Red Wine – Hey, I enjoy it and it’s an antioxidant :) I enjoy my ONE glass while I’m making dinner and try to refrain from that late night indulgence.

Just to reiterate, I try to avoid the following: all gluten-containing foods, soy (except when fermented), legumes (including peanuts), grains, corn, industrial seed oils (i.e. vegetable oils), and anything processed or containing refined sugar or flour.

2 comments:

  1. Yea! I've missed your posts... Know you're busy :) Thanks for the new one! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know, I need to get my act together and start posting more! Tons of ideas in my head but so hard to find the time to cook and write as much as I'd like :( Thanks for reading, Meg!

    ReplyDelete