Discovering everyday "joie de vivre" through food, style, and inspiration

Welcome! Join as we discover both spectacular and simple joys alike, remembering that life is a journey and it's up to each of us to make it special. Along the way, I'll share some of my original gluten-free recipes, book recommendations, DIY projects, style and decor tips, and plenty of inspiration. Thanks for visiting!

~ Kayla McGuire




Tuesday, November 27, 2012

The New Look and a Cookbook Review

First things first...
I’m sure you’ve noticed the changes to the blog and hope you like the new look.  As I mentioned in my “Reviving the Blog” post a few weeks ago, I’d like both the title and appearance of my blog to reflect a more broad content, as my former title felt a bit restrictive.  If you are fearful that I may be giving up on the cooking theme, not to worry!  I still plan to share many delicious gluten-free and paleo-inspired recipes along with other ideas for the kitchen.  My intent with these changes is to open the door to more conversation and ideas outside the realm of food. 
With all of these changes taking place, I’ll go ahead and point out how you can stay updated, especially since there has been some confusion in the past about how to sign up for blog updates.  If you’d like to do so, simply enter your email address into the text box located on the upper right hand side of the blog (directly beneath my picture).  Click “submit”, follow the Feedburner instructions, and you will receive my new blog posts in your inbox.  Also, If you are a frequent Google user (and really, who isn’t?!), the link to “follow” is on the right hand side of the blog.  Or, if you would simply like to check back frequently, that’s ok too J
Now, on to the good stuff...


As much as I enjoy cooking, it may be a bit strange for some to find that I don’t keep many cookbooks in my kitchen.  Over the years, I’ve found it more and more difficult to find quality cookbooks, especially ones with recipes that meet my dietary restrictions.  As with many things in my life, It seems that my favorites are the classics: my trusty Betty Crocker Cookbook, “Jacques Pepin’s Complete Techniques”, and my new favorite, Julia Child’s “Mastering the Art of French Cooking.”  For those who don’t know, Julia Child was a master at French cooking, a savvy businesswoman, and an all around lovely lady.  This cookbook is an embodiment of her vibrant personality and a must-have for any chef, professional or otherwise.
“Mastering the Art of French Cooking” contains all of the classic French recipes you could ever imagine preparing along with their very descriptive preparation instructions.  Julia had a special way of speaking that translated quite nicely to print, which is one of the reasons I’m so fond of this particular cookbook.  The pages are not filled with color or photos, but instead contain a great amount of wisdom from a woman who happily taught generations how to successfully prepare traditional French dishes.  When reading how to make a proper hollandaise, I feel as though she is right there with me saying “keep whisking!” 
While it may seem that many traditional French recipes would be quite difficult to convert to gluten-free versions, I have learned this isn’t necessarily the case.  No, my fellow gluten-free friends, you will not be able to make a tart or croissant or baguette using this cookbook, but rest assured there a plethora of other delicious recipes that are either inherently gluten-free or could be made so with only a few small tweaks. 
This book was given to me as a gift and has been a joy to read through and learn from.  If you are searching for a cookbook which contains all of the classics and one which will stay on your shelf for years to come, consider adding this one to your collection.  Or even better, gift it to someone you love.

2 comments:

  1. This is one cookbook that I have not read but have been wanting to for years! I am a collector of cookbooks, but so many of them are good for only one or two recipes. I should clear some of those cookbooks out to make room for the classics :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I understand, it's so hard to find a cookbook with more than a few recipes I like!

      Delete