Discovering everyday "joie de vivre" through food, style, and inspiration

Welcome! Join as we discover both spectacular and simple joys alike, remembering that life is a journey and it's up to each of us to make it special. Along the way, I'll share some of my original gluten-free recipes, book recommendations, DIY projects, style and decor tips, and plenty of inspiration. Thanks for visiting!

~ Kayla McGuire




Thursday, December 20, 2012

De-cluttering the Suitcase


Whether going to Grandma’s for the weekend or vacationing on a 10-day cruise, many of us have travel plans of some sort this holiday season.  Of course, along with the anticipation of spending time with loved ones and making fun travel plans comes the inevitable question: “what should I pack???”  I, for one, have always struggled with this question and so, in an attempt to make things easier, I always end up packing half of my wardrobe, a coat for each season, my entire bathing suit collection, and MANY pairs of shoes (just in case).  After about the millionth trip spent lugging around multiple suitcases and still with nothing to wear, I’ve decided to implement my de-cluttering policy when packing for my next trip.  Following many of the same guidelines I used when clearing out my wardrobe clutter, I’m going to focus on packing versatile pieces of clothing, appropriate for a variety of occasions.  I’m also going to limit the size of my luggage and the amount of bags I bring.  Even though we are driving and I could potentially use a larger suitcase, I will be limiting myself to one carry-on size piece of luggage, plus a large tote to keep with me in the car. 



De-cluttering the suitcase can make things physically easier during travel, create a more relaxing home away from home environment, and make for a more pleasant unpacking experience back at home.  Here are some basic guidelines to get you started packing for your next trip:

1)      Consider the event.  Is the trip casual or formal?  Where will you be spending most of your time? Do not pack a special occasion outfit “just in case.”  If there’s no obvious reason to pack it, then don’t.  Speaking from experience, I find it very rare to be invited to a ball while on vacation J.
 
2)      Consider the weather.  Check the forecast about a week before leaving and then again right before you leave the house, adding or taking away items accordingly.  And, as I learned one stormy day in New York City, ALWAYS pack an umbrella.

3)      Consider your mode and length of travel.  Longer trips call for more comfortable clothing.  A road trip with several planned stops may require a more polished travel outfit.  Regardless of how I’m travelling, I like to wear a large scarf, dress in layers, and keep sunglasses on hand.   

4)      Consider your accommodations.  Are you staying at a hotel with lots of amenities or will you need to pack your own shampoo, soap, hair dryer, etc.? 

5)      A week prior to the trip, make a list of outfits for each day, keeping in mind the considerations listed above.  If you are a visual person, hang your clothing items on a separate rod to make things easier.  Then, go back through and edit the list to reduce the number of clothing items and save space.  For example, if you have two pairs of jeans on the list, instead bring only one versatile pair.  Don’t forget items like belts, socks, gloves, pajamas and the like.



6)      Now make a list of toiletries and “extra” items like books, laptop, phone charger, etc.

7)      Wash clothing as necessary and pack all items (or as much as you can) a day or two before leaving.  I find this to be a much more organized approach to packing than the alternative of throwing everything into a suitcase on the morning of the trip.  By finishing your packing ahead of time, you now have the opportunity to add items you may have initially forgotten, thus minimizing the chances of forgetting to pack your toothbrush.



Happy holidays and safe travels to all of you!

No comments:

Post a Comment