Discovering everyday "joie de vivre" through food, style, and inspiration

Welcome! Join as we discover both spectacular and simple joys alike, remembering that life is a journey and it's up to each of us to make it special. Along the way, I'll share some of my original gluten-free recipes, book recommendations, DIY projects, style and decor tips, and plenty of inspiration. Thanks for visiting!

~ Kayla McGuire




Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Organization Part III - De-cluttering the Technology in Our Lives


I hope everyone has been enjoying the posts about de-cluttering!  Last week I discussed a difficult topic for some, the wardrobe.  This week I’m going to take de-cluttering to the next level by suggesting that while technology has undoubtedly made many positive contributions to modern life, it may also be preventing many of us from achieving, growing and living.  By the way, this is quite the revelation, coming from a former iPhone and Facebook addict!  Clearly, I still have an affinity for technology as I’m writing this for my online blog, and I’m not suggesting we give up on technology all together but perhaps, for many of us, a bit of reflection is necessary.  Just as we need be particular about relationships, food, and possessions, so should we be mindful of how we spend our most precious commodity – time.

The Phone  

I’m sure most of you reading this have a smart phone of some sort.  Maybe you’re texting someone right now, in which case unless you’re telling them how awesome my blog is, then put the phone down!  In all seriousness, as much value as smart phone technology brings to daily life, the dependence upon smart phones can provide severe limitations and also detract from quality of life.  I doubt I need to go into “the rudeness factor” as I’m sure most of you have experienced this by being put on the back burner whilst your companion checks his email, returns a text (or 10), or catches up on Words with Friends.  In my opinion, this is just plain rude, but unfortunately, this behavior is becoming quite commonplace and, therefore, acceptable in modern society.  As I have learned from my own experience, becoming more mindful in these situations helps to gain awareness of one’s own behavior. 

Over a year ago I noticed I was becoming very involved in my phone and decided to, for the most part, eliminate my use of the cell phone.  I still carry my cell phone, but without a data plan and now only use it to place the occasional phone call.  It’s not uncommon for my phone to be turned off for days, or even a week at a time.  Very rarely do I miss the ability to surf the web or look up directions, weather, etc.  I find that now I regularly engage in more human behaviors like asking someone for directions or the time, and carrying a book or journal with me if I know I may be waiting for a while.  It’s refreshing to depend upon myself rather than a machine.  

If you would like to de-clutter the phone usage in your life, please take a look at these simple suggestions:

1.       Become more mindful of your behavior If you notice you frequently check your phone for email or texts, or feel the need to respond immediately when you hear your phone’s notification ring, take a step back and adjust your behavior.  Unless it’s truly urgent (see #3), try not to immediately pick up the phone, especially if you are in the presence of company.  On that note, if you are with company and know you will need to answer a call or respond to an email, give your company a heads up.  This is a very polite approach and tells others that you value their time as well as your own business.

2.       Separate yourself from the phone for periods of time throughout the day.  Learning to live without your phone or turning your phone off for a small time frame at some point during the day can help with detachment, especially if you use your cell phone all day for work.  Dinnertime is a great opportunity to turn off the phone, set it aside, and devote time to the family, your pet, or yourself and enjoy a lovely meal, without distractions. 

3.       Learn when to classify communication as “urgent.”  It seems these days everything is urgent…but is it really?  “Urgent” means different things to each of us, but if it can wait, without negative repercussions, then it’s not really urgent. 

4.       Adjust the role of “phone” in your life.  Some people use phones simply to communicate with friends and family.  Other people use phones to play games, check out the App Store, text with abandon, surf the web, shop and occasionally make phone calls.  Whatever your use for the cell phone, ensure it makes sense for what you are trying to achieve in life.  If the hours a day playing games and surfing the web are making it difficult for you to accomplish personal or professional goals, then perhaps it’s time to turn it down a notch.

Television

As part of the de-cluttering efforts in our household last year, we decided to severely downgrade our cable.  Now, notice I said we downgraded, not cancelled, because we just aren't quite ready to give up television all together.  I definitely understand how it can be relaxing to unwind after work with a favorite TV show or watch a sports game at home over the weekend with friends.  However, it’s easy to become caught up in it all, especially with DVR technology, as Dave and I learned... 

It was earlier this year, after we returned from a week-long vacation.  While we were gone, we had recorded a week’s worth of “our” shows, ready for us to view via DVR upon our return.  I felt overwhelmed, knowing that we had to watch the previous week’s shows before the new ones aired that week, lest we should fall further behind.  As silly as this may be, the sheer thought of watching all of these shows in a day or two’s time actually stressed me out!  A couple of episodes in, Dave and I looked at one another, simultaneously sighed and turned it off.  A few weeks later we got rid of the DVR, HD, and downgraded our cable.  As dramatic as it sounds, I immediately felt freed as I had become somewhat of a slave to my TV.  All of a sudden, I had loads of time for other pursuits and no longer felt the need to unwind with TV every night. 

Activities

Entertainment comes in many forms, but I believe the best spark careful thought and true appreciation.  Sometimes entertainment can involve technology, but all too often these forms of entertainment can be consuming and mindless.  Try to balance technology in your entertainment activities.  Instead of spending free time gaming or watching reality TV or mindlessly surfing the web, try these ideas:

1.       Swap movie channels for a few quality films and the theater.  If you love the movies, why not cancel your movie channel subscription and use Netflix?  This way, you will look forward to just a few quality films each week instead of watching movie upon movie from the moment you get home to the moment you fall asleep every night.  Even better, try attending live theater or your local independent film theater from time to time to gain a different perspective on acting and film-making.    

2.       Enjoy the great outdoors.  While I most certainly wouldn’t call myself an “outdoor enthusiast” (hey, I live in Colorado, that title is reserved for the truly obsessed!), I do love nature and enjoy a tame hike, camping excursion, or fishing trip.  If you are reluctant to participate in outdoor activities because they aren’t your thing, start small and take a little picnic or walk the dog through the park every Saturday. 

3.       Get a hobby!  There’s quite a lot to be said for developing a hobby, something personal and special to you.  Perhaps this hobby is crafting or writing or cooking or something sports-related, but make sure it’s both mentally stimulating and rewarding. 

4.       Read.  Seriously, it’s a very under-rated activity!  Read whatever appeals to you, whether it’s a book about home design or FDR’s biography.  Or both.  Reading opens the door to new ways of thought and helps to understand others.  At times, read things you would not normally choose or be drawn to. 

5.       Frequent museums, festivals, art walks and other cultural events.  There are so many wonderful people and things to be exposed to in these environments.  Even if you are somewhat reserved, as I normally am, I find a small amount of exposure to these sorts of events to be quite fulfilling.

6.       Learn something new.  This is very fun, as you can choose anything you’d like!  I’ve noticed there are plenty of affordable classes around that teach languages, cooking, and various crafting skills.  If a class is not your thing (it’s not mine either!), try teaching yourself or finding someone who can teach you one on one. 

My personal examples may seem a bit extreme to some of you and an impossible idea for others, but I’m not suggesting that my decisions are the solution for everyone.  We all have our own unique experiences and I appreciate that; however, I truly hope these ideas have sparked some thought and inspiration.  

No comments:

Post a Comment