Discovering everyday "joie de vivre" through food, style, and inspiration

Welcome! Join as we discover both spectacular and simple joys alike, remembering that life is a journey and it's up to each of us to make it special. Along the way, I'll share some of my original gluten-free recipes, book recommendations, DIY projects, style and decor tips, and plenty of inspiration. Thanks for visiting!

~ Kayla McGuire




Monday, December 10, 2012

Cranberry Walnut Salad Recipe


I’m not a big salad person; in fact, unless there’s a really fabulous dip alongside, raw veggies don’t quite do it for me.  Over the past few years as I’ve attempted to diversify my foods and how they are prepared, I’ve found it a bit difficult to find enjoyable ways to eat raw vegetables.  I feel like a little kid, wrinkling up my nose and eating the stuff because I know if I don’t then I’ll get in trouble.  Of course, now the only person reprimanding me for not eating my fair share of raw veggies is myself, but that’s beside the point… So, you can imagine my delight upon eating a truly delicious salad at a local restaurant last year - “I can do this!” I thought to myself, and, sure enough, I came up with my own version of this tasty new favorite.   I’m happy to say that I’m now a regular salad eater, as is my fellow raw veggie hater husbandJ.  This salad can easily be converted to a main dish by adding chicken (or another protein), and can accommodate both my vegan and lactose-intolerant friends by omitting the cheese (although I’ve heard and read that many lactose-intolerant folks can tolerate raw goat feta cheese).  Try with my balsamic vinaigrette recipe, as it makes a lovely accompaniment to the savory sweetness of this salad.  Bon appétit!

Cranberry Walnut Salad

·         1 bunch fresh spinach, rinsed, stemmed, roughly shredded, and spun dry
·         ¼  cup walnuts, roughly chopped
·         ¼  cup dried cranberries
·         ¼  cup blue cheese crumbles OR raw goat cheese feta crumbles
·         1 avocado, diced
·         1 cup cooked chicken, diced (optional)
·         Balsamic Vinaigrette


Place spinach in a large salad bowl.  Top with walnuts, cranberries, cheese, avocado and optional chicken.  Toss and serve with Balsamic Vinaigrette.  


OOPS!  I forgot the avocado! Use your imagination...


                                   

The finished product.  I added seared Ahi Tuna to mine to make a complete meal. Yum!

2 comments:

  1. That looks really good! I make a similar salad, only instead of avocado, I thinly slice red onion to toss in. I also cook bacon to crumble over the top and then drizzle the bacon fat over the greens to make a "warm" salad. Now I have another yummy salad to put in the mix, thanks! I'll definitely have to try the seared Ahi! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yum, your salad sounds delicious!! Especially the bacon fat :)

      Delete