Discovering everyday "joie de vivre" through food, style, and inspiration

Welcome! Join as we discover both spectacular and simple joys alike, remembering that life is a journey and it's up to each of us to make it special. Along the way, I'll share some of my original gluten-free recipes, book recommendations, DIY projects, style and decor tips, and plenty of inspiration. Thanks for visiting!

~ Kayla McGuire




Sunday, December 30, 2012

Roast Chicken – My Favorite One Pot Meal


For years I was under the impression that roasting a chicken was hard work.  Perhaps it’s because I haven't known too many people who prepared a whole bird or maybe I assumed there was more to it than there really is, but in any case, I stayed far away from whole birds for quite some time.  As I have more recently learned, roasting a chicken is actually very simple and is a great dish to make when you don’t have a lot of time or energy for food prep.  A roast chicken with a simple salad can be a lovely dinner to serve for company, allowing the host to focus on spending time with guests as opposed to overheating in the kitchen! 

I usually get my whole birds from the Denver UrbanHomesteading farmer’s market at the Ranch Foods Direct stand.  Not only are the chickens local and good quality, but the prices are also quite reasonable and much more budget friendly than purchasing chicken breasts or tenders.  There is also the added bonus of being able to make your own chicken stock with leftover bones, another great savings measure (see my tips for making stock here).

Roast chicken in its most simple form is obviously gluten-free; however,  keep in mind that some restaurants may serve roast chicken with a gravy or sauce that usually contains flour and is NOT safe for the gluten-sensitive folks.  For an easy alternative to what you may find in a restaurant (and equally moist, I might add), take a look at my gluten-free Lemon Herb Roast Chicken recipe below. Oh, and Happy New Year!

Lemon Herb Roast Chicken

·         1 whole chicken, 3-4 pounds, giblets removed
·         1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
·         2 heads of garlic, cut in half
·         5-6 tablespoons butter, melted
·         2 lemon wedges
·         3 fresh rosemary sprigs(or 1 tablespoon dried rosemary)
·         3 fresh thyme sprigs (or 1 tablespoon dried thyme)
·         Sea salt
·         Pepper
·         1 cup chicken broth or water


Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Place onion slices and cut garlic in the bottom of a roasting pan.  Place chicken on top of onions and garlic.  Stuff the herb sprigs and lemon wedges into chicken cavity.  Brush 2-3 tablespoons of melted butter on the side of the chicken facing up.  Season with sea salt and pepper.  Pour broth or water into roasting pan, taking care not to pour directly on the chicken.  Place in oven and roast for 45 minutes.  Remove from oven, turn chicken over, and brush with remaining melted butter.  Season with sea salt and pepper.
  

Place in oven and roast for 45 minutes.  Chicken is cooked when juices run clear.  For extra crispy skin, broil on high for an additional 1-2 minutes after chicken is cooked through. 

 

5 comments:

  1. Wow, that looks so good! It makes me want to go out and buy a chicken and try this tonight. I've been scared of making a whole bird too, but I think it's that it still resembles a living creature. I know my meat was once a living animal, but I like to pretend otherwise! Maybe this will help me get over my fear, lol :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean! Maybe someday soon we'll have you over for a roast chicken dinner :)

      Delete
    2. That sounds great! :)

      Delete
  2. I made this last night for my friend Kathy, and it was soooo great!!! Very easy and super tasty. I have never had chicken that tasted so good! Thanks for giving me the courage to make a whole bird, lol! This is going to be a staple for sure :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's awesome!!! I'm so glad you tried it; I bet it was delicious :)

      Delete