Discovering everyday "joie de vivre" through food, style, and inspiration

Welcome! Join as we discover both spectacular and simple joys alike, remembering that life is a journey and it's up to each of us to make it special. Along the way, I'll share some of my original gluten-free recipes, book recommendations, DIY projects, style and decor tips, and plenty of inspiration. Thanks for visiting!

~ Kayla McGuire




Thursday, June 9, 2011

Easy Summertime Salad












I love summer for many reasons, but the abundance of fresh produce, especially berries, is right at the top of the list. My favorites are raspberries and strawberries and I’m discovering more and more ways to incorporate berries into my meals. For breakfast, a simple coconut milk berry smoothie is easy to make in a pinch. Often I’ll mix plain full fat yogurt, cinnamon, berries and maybe a touch of honey together to make a satisfying snack or even dessert. There are tons of yummy sauces, salsas and chutneys made using berries and most are a wonderful accompaniment to meat dishes, especially pork. Today, I’m going to share my recipe for a quick and easy mixed greens salmon salad with fresh berries and balsamic vinagrette, perfect for lunch on a hot summer day.

Before I share my recipe I have to mention the most recent love in my food life: Taylor Organic Baby Herb Salad Blend. I’ve never been big on salads, especially packaged salad mixes, but let me tell you this is something else! I love the unique mix of herbs and greens, including arugula, dill, cilantro, beet greens, swiss chard, spinach, and romaine. Most of the time I’ll use this blend to make salads, but it’s also great underneath a couple of fried or poached eggs for breakfast. Using this salad blend along with some fresh berries, I created a quick go-to recipe for breakfast, lunch or dinner.

Salmon, Herb, and Berry Salad

2-3 cups Taylor Organic Baby Herb Salad Blend
1-6oz. can Wild Alaskan Salmon, drained
Small handful of fresh berries (blueberries, blackberries, raspberries, sliced strawberries)
1 tbsp. chopped almonds

Balsamic Vinaigrette

1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1/2 tsp Dijon mustard
Salt and pepper, to taste

Assemble the salad, drizzle the vinaigrette on top, and enjoy! If you have the time and want to dress up the salad a bit more, add some feta cheese crumbles, avocado slices, grape tomatoes, or any of your favorite veggies. If you don't have the salad blend on hand, use whatever greens you have in the fridge and throw in some snipped fresh dill and cilantro to add some extra flavor.

No comments:

Post a Comment