Discovering everyday "joie de vivre" through food, style, and inspiration

Welcome! Join as we discover both spectacular and simple joys alike, remembering that life is a journey and it's up to each of us to make it special. Along the way, I'll share some of my original gluten-free recipes, book recommendations, DIY projects, style and decor tips, and plenty of inspiration. Thanks for visiting!

~ Kayla McGuire




Monday, January 7, 2013

Slow Cooked Beef Brisket with Homemade BBQ Sauce





Along with whole chicken, beef brisket is another one of those meats that I had no desire to mess around with prior to about a year ago.  When it comes to red meat I tend to stick with the ground variety, largely because I just don’t like the texture of other steak-like cuts.  It wasn’t until I had regularly frequented the farmer’s market for about a year that I finally decided to try something a bit unfamiliar.  Dave suggested the brisket, and I, having no clue what to do with that two and a half pound cut, was understandably a little wary.  I forget how we cooked the brisket that first time, but what I do remember is that it was nothing like what I thought it would be.  Slow-cooking is really the best way to go and I find when properly cooked and served with a flavorful sauce, brisket can be moist and quite delicious.  While brisket isn’t a staple in my weekly menu, I do enjoy serving it from time to time, especially when I see a nice one at the farmer’s market.  Enjoy my recipe below!

For the barbeque sauce:

  • 2 cups ketchup (use a corn syrup-free brand)
  • 1 cup water, room temperature
  • ½ cup apple cider vinegar
  • ½ cup honey
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice
  • 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
  • 2 teaspoons black pepper
  • 2 teaspoons onion powder
  • 2 teaspoons ground mustard

 

Combine ingredients in a medium saucepan.    



Place over medium-low heat and simmer for 30-45 minutes.  Remove from heat and let cool.


For the brisket:

  • 2-2.5 pound beef brisket
  • Salt
  • Pepper
  • 2 cups barbeque sauce (recipe above)


Lightly salt and pepper the brisket.  Place in a slow cooker.  

Smother brisket with barbeque sauce.  Turn slow cooker to low and cook for 2 hours, turning brisket after 1 hour.  


Remove from slow cooker and slice into ½ inch strips.  Serve with remaining barbeque sauce.

No comments:

Post a Comment